Heatwave Level 3
The Met office has now issued a Level 3 Heat wave alert, with a 90 % probability of heatwave conditions continuing until Thursday in the South East.
Key messages to be communicating to everyone – vulnerable people and the general population at Level 3 are as follows:
“Stay out of the sun. Keep your home as cool as possible – shading windows and shutting
them during the day may help. Open them when it is cooler at night. Keep drinking fluids. If
there’s anybody you know, for example an older person living on their own who might be at
special risk, make sure they know what to do”.
For advice on how to reduce the risk for yourself or somebody you know,
please visit NHS Choices at www.nhs.uk/heatwave or ring NHS 111. You can also visit your local pharmacy for advice.
Please can you ensure that people are advised to:
- Watch out for signs of heatstroke and know where to seek help: heat exhaustion and heatstroke
- Reduce unnecessary travel and plan ahead.
- Remember to stay healthy during Ramadan, more information via this link: Healthy Ramadan
- Be aware of advice on air quality during a heatwave for those with respiratory problems (please see attached).
- Please visit this page on NHS Choices www.nhs.uk/heatwave, for additional information and advice
- Tips for coping in hot weather http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/Heatwave.aspx#coping
- UV Index: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/uv-index-forecast/#?tab=map&map=MaxUVIndex&zoom=8&lon=-2.19&lat=52.30&fcTime=1497819600
- Pollution Index https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/forecasting/
Please note that both UVI and Pollution index are currently moderate
- Ramadan - general info on healthy Ramadan: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/HealthyRamadan/Pages/healthyramadanhome.aspx